ENVIRONMENTAL CONTAMINATION BY LEAD AND OTHER HEAVY METALS. VOLUME 2. ECOSYSTEM ANALYSIS
A Metals Task Force attempts to understand and characterize the sources, transport processes, availability, fate, and effects of lead and other heavy metals in the environment. The study investigated an 86-square-mile ecosystem based on a watershed located in east-central Illinois. The watershed is separated into two major compartments on the basis of land use: a 74-square-mile rural, agricultural compartment and a 12-square-mile urban compartment. To establish the potential magnitude to lead accumulation an input-output analysis was initiated early in the research program. This analysis compares major lead inputs to the ecosystem and to the various compartments with major outputs. A model describing the ecosystem inputs, outputs, transports, and accumulations has been developed.
- Also available in set of 5 reports (PB-287150-SET).
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignUrbana, IL United States 61801
National Science FoundationApplied Science and Research Applications, 1800 G Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20550
- Rolfe, G L
- Haney, A
- Reinbold, K A
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 121 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerosols; Air pollution; Biomass; Contaminants; Ecology; Environment; Environmental impacts; Exhaust gases; Farming; Gasoline; Heavy metals; Land use; Leaching; Lead (Metal); Mathematical models; Metals; Plants; Pollution; Rural areas; Sampling; Soils; Surveys; Systems analysis; Tetraethyl lead; Toxicology; Trace elements; Traffic; Transport properties (Physics); Urban areas; Water pollution; Watersheds
- Uncontrolled Terms: Contamination; Models; Sources; Transport properties
- Old TRIS Terms: Accumulation; Agricultural land; Environmental surveys
- Subject Areas: Environment; Geotechnology; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00186781
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NSF/RA-770682 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NSF-GI-31605, NSF-ERT74-24276
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM