THE EFFECTS OF WRITTEN LICENSING TESTS STRESSING KNOWLEDGE OF SAFE DRIVING PRINCIPLES FOR INTERMEDIATE RECORD RENEWAL APPLICANTS: AN EVALUATION OF THE INTERMEDIATE DRIVER COMPONENT OF CALIFORNIA'S SELECTIVE TESTING PROGRAM
Drivers applying to renew their California drivers licenses are normally administered written tests that are used to assess their knowledge of the California Vehicle Code. An experiment was conducted which utilized new tests that were somewhat longer than the standard DMV tests and that stressed knowledge of safe driving principles that are not included in the vehicle code. The primary purpose of the experiment was to determine the comparative effects of the test on subsequent driving record. The new tests were administered to renewal applicants who had moderate numbers of collisions and convictions on record, with a control group of comparable drivers receiving standard DMV law tests. This experiment was one of a series of related experiments that evaluated a program of selective testing of drivers license applicants according to the quality of their driving record. Drivers with better or worse driving records participated in other studies. The data for the 12 month period following written knowledge testing revealed no statistically significant differences between experimental or control group driving record means, indicating the administration of safe driving written tests did not result in a significant reduction in collisions or convictions.
- Research performed under the Research, Development and Consultation Section of the California DMV.
California Department of Motor VehiclesP.O. Box 11828, 2415 1st Avenue
Sacramento, CA United States 95813
- Carpenter, D W
- Publication Date: 1978-7
- Features: References; Tables;
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Crashes; Driver records; Drivers; Driving tests; Education; Evaluation; Examinations; Jurisprudence and judicial processes; Licenses; Performance evaluations; Prevention; Records management; Safety; State government; Tests; Traffic conviction; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Convictions; Driver license renewal; Motor vehicle accidents; Records
- Geographic Terms: California
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Finance; Highways; Law; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00186747
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CAL-DMV-RSS-78-63 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM