ANNUAL REPORT, 1977
Highlights of the year's accomplishments include: opening of Phase II (the Blue Line, National Airport-Stadium Armory) on July 1, drawing a daily ridership of 135,000, the combined system now had 25 stations and carried over six times as many passengers as before, rerouting of 385 bus routes to serve the rail stations and eliminate duplicate service, reorganization of the Authority staff to function as a transit service agency in addition to a construction agency, purchase of 281 buses, over half equipped with wheelchair lifts, implementing two fare increases, phasing in two-way bus radios and improving graphics in the rail stations. At year's end, five stations and 14.2 miles of line were substantially completed and 21 stations and 21.0 miles of line were under construction, and another 21 stations and 27.2 miles of line were under design.
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority600 Fifth Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20001
- Publication Date: 1977-12-31
- Pagination: 29 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Buses; Construction; Finance; Level of service; Operating costs; Passenger transportation; Physically handicapped persons; Public transit; Railroad transportation; Subways; Transportation operations; Transportation planning
- Uncontrolled Terms: Financial management; Services; Transportation management
- Geographic Terms: Washington (District of Columbia)
- Subject Areas: Construction; Finance; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Society;
- Accession Number: 00186692
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: WMATA-78/1
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 2002 12:00AM