THE ECONOMIC SIGNIFICANCE OF TRANSPORTATION IN TEXAS
The economic significance of transportation in Texas is highlighted by the relationship between total private expenditures for transportation and economic activity in the state. The report contains estimates of the Texas transportation expenditures from 1959 through 1976 by mode. These estimates show the growth in total transportation expenditures and the shifts in the relative magnitudes of expenditures for the various passenger and freight transportation modes. A comparison between the Texas transportation bill and Gross Texas Product is presented to illustrate the trends in transportation expenditure shares of the state's total output. Additionally, a comparison between the U.S. transportation bill and the Texas transportation bill reveals the relative intensity of transportation expenditures in the U.S. and Texas. The effects of population growth are removed by presenting the Texas and U.S. transportation bills in per capita terms. These per capita transportation expenditures show the relative magnitude of micro-level expenditures for each transportation mode. The Texas per capita bill, along with gasoline price, per capita Gross Texas Product, and a price index are variables in functional relationships which are used to forecast future transportation bills. The forecasting equations specify the relationships between the state's transportation bill and other economic variables.
- Prepared in cooperation with Texas State Dept. of Highways and Public Transportation, Austin.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TranspP.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
- Holmes, S R
- McFarland, W F
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Pagination: 110 p.
- TRT Terms: Economic analysis; Economics; Estimates; Expenditures; Expenses; Forecasting; Freight transportation; Gasoline; Mode S; Passenger transportation; Population growth; Prices; Statistical analysis; Statistics; Transportation; Transportation planning
- Geographic Terms: Texas
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00186641
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TTI-2-1-77-227 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM