SUBSIDIES, CAPITAL FORMATION, AND TECHNOLOGICAL CHANGE: MARITIME TRANSPORT. VOLUME 4
The report discusses federal policy objectives regarding support of the U.S.-flag merchant marine engaged in foreign commerce, the ship-building industry, and seagoing labor. The costs of this support and its value to recipients as well as static and dynamic impacts of the subsidy program were analyzed. The program of subsidies is expensive -- ODS, CDS, and cargo preference together currently cost the federal government and shippers roughly two-thirds of a billion dollars a year -- and has had limited success in attaining major policy objectives as stated in the Merchant Marine Act of 1936 and the Merchant Marine Act of 1970. While the U.S.-flag liners have maintained a consistent share of U.S. liner trade in both volume and value terms, the composition of U.S. oceanborne foreign commerce has shifted toward the bulk trades where the U.S. share has been small and declining. Further, the commercial development goals of U.S. maritime policy encourage the adoption of developments in ship technology toward increasing specialization of ships while the military auxiliary capability of the U.S.-flag fleet would be better served by ships designed for flexibility of use.
- Also available in set of 8 reports PC E19, PB-285 287-SET.
CHARLES RIVER ASSOCIATESCAMBRIDGE, MA USA
National Bureau of StandardsExperimental Technology Incentives Program
Washington, DC USA 20234
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 86 p.
- TRT Terms: Capital; Cargo preference; Commercial transportation; Economic analysis; Economic development; Economic impacts; Economics; Federal assistance programs; Foreign; Incentives; International trade; Merchant vessels; National defense; Operating subsidies; Policy; Shipbuilding; Shipping; Subsidies; Transportation policy; Water transportation
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Foreign maritime development; Foreign maritime policy; Government policies
- Subject Areas: Economics; Marine Transportation; Policy;
- Accession Number: 00186633
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CRA-302.09 Final Rpt., NBS-GCR-ETIP-78-43
- Contract Numbers: NBS-6-35744
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM