MARITIME TRANSPORT OF DRY BULK MINERALS
The purpose of this project was to study the relationships between the dry bulk shipping industry and the U.S. mineral industries. To this end a study was begun on past developments in and relationships between the shipping and mineral industries. Minerals which are not imported or exported in bulk are beyond the scope of this study. It was found that the coal industry and those industries processing ores of aluminum, chromium, manganese, iron, and phosphorous are more dependent than others on shortrun and longrun developments in the shipping market. Forecasts were prepared for both the bulk shipping industry and potential problem areas were pinpointed, and possible policy actions by the Bureau of Mines were outlined.
- Prepared in cooperation with Frankel (E. G.), Inc., Boston, Mass.
CHARLES RIVER ASSOCIATESCAMBRIDGE, MA United States
Frankel (EG) Incorporated99 First Street
Cambridge, MA United States 02141
Bureau of MinesC Street Between 18th and 19th Streets, NW
Washington, DC United States 20241
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Pagination: 149 p.
- TRT Terms: Aluminum oxide; Bauxite; Bulk cargo; Bulk cargo handling; Coal; Coke; Dry bulk cargo; Economic forecasting; Exports; Financing; Forecasting; Freight transportation; Harbors; Imports; Iron ores; Manganese; Marine terminals; Minerals; Ores; Phosphate rock; Phosphates; Policy; Regulations; Risk assessment; Shipping; Ships; Taxes; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulk bauxite/alumina; Bulk coal; Bulk ore; Bulk phosphates; Cargo transportation; Chromite; Ferrochromium; Government policies; Manganese ores; Maritime terminals; Mineral economics; Minerals imports; Phosphate deposits; Shipping forecasts; Shipping policies; Undersea mineral deposits
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Law; Marine Transportation; Policy; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00186616
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CRA-305, BUMINES-OFR-98-78
- Contract Numbers: J0166111
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM