DESIGN GUIDE FOR REDUCING TRANSPORTATION NOISE IN AND AROUND BUILDINGS
This design guide presents a unified procedure for the selection of noise criteria in and around buildings, for the prediction of exterior and interior noise levels arising as a consequence of transportation systems operations, and for the evaluation of the adequacy of building designs with regard to environmental noise. Noise criteria levels are suggested in terms of equivalent sound levels (Leq). Simplified predictive methods enable the estimation of noise levels arising as a consequence of highway, railway, and aircraft operations. The sound isolation provided by the building shell is estimated by means of a new single-figure rating system. Finally, design manipulations which may make possible the improvement of the acoustic conditions in and around buildings are suggested.
- Library of Congress Catalog Card no. 76-58340.
National Bureau of StandardsNational Engineering Laboratory
Gaithersburg, MD USA 20760
- Pallett, D S
- WEHRLI, R
- Kilmer, R D
- Quindry, T L
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Pagination: 109 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Aircraft; Aircraft noise; Building; Design; Environmental engineering; Environmental impacts; Environmental protection; Highways; Manuals; Noise; Noise control; Railroad facilities; Railroads; Sound level; Surveying; Surveying; Training; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Instructional materials; Noise reduction
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Wayside
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00186613
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NBS-BSS-84 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM