AUTOMOBILE EXHAUST EMISSION MODAL ANALYSIS MODEL EXTENSION AND REFINEMENT
This report on modal analysis of automobile emissions constitutes a refinement and extension of a modal analysis exhaust emission model previously developed. The modal analysis exhaust emission model makes it possible to calculate the amounts of emission products emitted by individual vehicles or groups of vehicles ovver an arbitrary driving sequence. Refinements to the model permit an improvement in computational efficiency and a reduction in input data requirements. Extensions of the model include a scheme for computation of fuel usage in terms of CO2, CO and HC output by means of a carbon-balance aproach and a procedure for more definitive assessment of the precision of the model in predicting group emissions. The report discusses the following: Investigates means to increase the computational efficiency of the model; determines whether modal testing requirements can be reduced without appreciable loss of information; defines the accuracy and precision with which group emission predictions can be made from modal data; and uses the modal analysis approach to predict fuel economy over arbitrary driving sequences.
New York State Department of Environmental ConservationGovernor Nelson A Rockefeller Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY USA 12228
Environmental Protection AgencyEnvironmental Sciences Research Laboratory
Research Triangle Pk, NC USA
- McAdams, H T
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 66 p.
- TRT Terms: Accuracy; Air pollution; Automobiles; Carbon dioxide; Carbon monoxide; Contaminants; Economic efficiency; Exhaust gases; Fuel consumption; Hydrocarbons; Hydrogen peroxide; Mathematical models
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency
- Old TRIS Terms: Dispersion; Number solutions
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00186605
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA/600/4-78/037 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-03-0435
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM