EVALUATION OF FIDC SYSTEM
A fuel vapor injector/igniter system was evaluated for its effect on automobile engine performance, fuel economy, and exhaust emissions. Improved fuel economy and emissions, found during the single cylinder tests were not realized with a multicylinder engine. Multicylinder engine tests were conducted to compare the system with both a stock and modified stock configuration. A comparison of cylinder-to-cylinder equivalence ratio distribution was also obtained from the multicylinder engine tests. The multicylinder engine was installed in a vehicle was tested on a chassis dynamometer to compare the system with stock and modified stock configurations. The fuel vapor injector/igniter system (FIDC) configuration demonstrated approximately five percent improved fuel economy over the stock configuration, but the modified stock configuration demonstrated approximately twelve percent improved fuel economy. The hydrocarbon emissions were approximately two-hundred-thirty percent higher with the FIDC system than with the stock configuration. Both the FIDC system and the modified stock configuration adversely affected driveability. The FIDC system demonstrated a modest fuel savings, but with the penalty of increased emissions, and loss of driveability.
- Prepared for the Department of Energy.
Jet Propulsion LaboratoryCalifornia Institute of Technology, 4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, CA United States 91103
- Hall, R A
- Dowdy, M W
- Price, T W
- Publication Date: 1978-10-15
- Pagination: 132 p.
- TRT Terms: Dynamometers; Exhaust gases; Fuel air mixtures; Fuel consumption; Fuel injection; Hydrocarbons; Measures of effectiveness; Performance; Pollutants; Urban transportation; Vehicle power plants
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile engines; Fuel-air ratio; Gas injection; Igniters; System effectiveness
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00186593
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-CR-157763 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NAS7-100
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM