PROSPECTS FOR A CIVIL/MILITARY TRANSPORT AIRCRAFT
The similarities and disparities between commercial and military payloads, design features, missions, and transport aircraft are enumerated. Two matrices of civil/military transport aircraft designs were evaluated to determine the most cost effective payloads for a projected commercial route structure and air freight market. The probability of this market developing and the prospects for alternate route structures and freight markets are evaluated along with the possible impact on the aircraft designs. Proposals to stimulate the market and increase the viability of the common aircraft concept are reviewed and the possible impact of higher cargo demand on prospects for common civil/military freighters is postulated. The implications of planned advanced technology developments on the aircraft performance and cost are also considered.
- Conf-Presented at 1978 Sae Intern. Air Transportation Meeting, Boston, 3 May 1978.
Langley Research CenterNational Aeronautics and Space Administration
Hampton, VA USA 23665
- Jobe, C E
- Noggle, L W
- Whitehead, AHJ
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 46 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft; Civil aircraft; Cost effectiveness; Costs; General cargo ships; Market research; Marketing; Military aircraft; Military organizations; Transport aircraft; Transportation; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Aircraft design; Military operations; Payload
- Old TRIS Terms: Freighters; Payloads
- Subject Areas: Transportation (General); Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00186581
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-TM-78724, REPT-791-40-13-01
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM