REQUIREMENTS FOR REGIONAL SHORT-HAUL AIR SERVICE AND THE DEFINITION OF A FLIGHT PROGRAM TO DETERMINE NEIGHBORHOOD REACTIONS TO SMALL TRANSPORT AIRCRAFT
An evaluation of the current status and future requirements of an intraregional short haul air service is given. A brief definition of the different types of short haul air service is given. This is followed by a historical review of previous attempts to develop short haul air service in high density urban areas and an assessment of the current status. The requirements for intraregional air service, the need for economic and environmental viability and the need for a flight research program are defined. A detailed outline of a research program that would determine urban community reaction to frequent operations of small transport aircraft is also given. Both the operation of such an experiment in a specific region (San Francisco Bay area) and the necessary design modifications of an existing fixed wing aircraft which could be used in the experiment are established. An estimate is made of overall program costs.
- Subm-Prepared in Cooperation with NASA. Ames Res. Center, Moffett Field, Calif.
University of Michigan, Ann ArborDepartment of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
- Feher, K
- Bollinger, L
- Bowles, J V
- Waters, M H
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Pagination: 153 p.
- TRT Terms: Air traffic; Air transportation; Aircraft; Aircraft noise; Aircraft operations; Airlines; Airplanes; Communities; Local service airlines; Motor reactions; Public relations; Regional planning; Short haul; Social factors; Technological forecasting; Technology assessment; Transport aircraft; Urban areas
- Geographic Terms: San Francisco Bay Area
- Old TRIS Terms: Airline operations; Community reactions; Fixed wings; Human reactions
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00186516
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-CR-152151
- Contract Numbers: NAS2-9050
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM