NATIONAL PLAN FOR DEVELOPMENT OF THE MICROWAVE LANDING SYSTEM - JUNE 1978 UPDATE
An updated plan for the development of an interoperable civil/military microwave landing system (MLS) is presented. The original plan delineated a five (5) year program of integrated activity deemed necessary to provide a MLS that meets the wide range of user operational requirements. The substance of the work and the goals achieved under the initial plan have occurred essentially as planned except for the schedule. The TRSB (Time Reference Scanning Beam) technique selection was made about one year later than originally planned and considerable time and resources were devoted to ICAO activities that were not initially envisioned. A major milestone in the MLS program was achieved in April 1978 at the All Weather Operations Divisional meeting of ICAO, when the U.S. TRSB system was selected to be the standard system for international civil use as a replacement for ILS.
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 98 p.
- TRT Terms: Civil aviation; Federal assistance programs; Federal government; International; Landing aids; Microwave landing systems; Military organizations; Planning; Prototypes; Time duration
- Uncontrolled Terms: Federal programs; Long term; Military applications
- Old TRIS Terms: Time reference scanning beam
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Bridges and other structures; Planning and Forecasting;
- Accession Number: 00186261
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-ED-07-2A
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM