THE DOUBLE DECK BUS DEMONSTRATION PROJECT: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
This report is one of three documents that constitute an evaluation of the Double Deck Bus (DDB) Demonstration Project sponsored by UMTA. The project was conducted in Los Angeles and New York City (July 1974-June 1977). The primary objective at the two sites was to assess potential increases in vehicle productivity in an express, limited busway service (L.A.) and in regular service (NYC). DDB carry from 68-84 passengers; conventional buses carry from 45-47 passengers. Both buses require a single transit employee, the driver. In New York City, eight British Leyland double deckers operated on two Manhattan routes characterized by congested traffic, heavy passenger loads, frequent stops, and frequent passenger turnover. In Los Angeles, the two German Neoplan buses operated between the suburbs and the central business district, providing a combination of express and collection/distribution/park-and-ride services. Seven months of revenue service were analyzed for NYC project and eleven months of revenue service for Los Angeles. The evaluation considers passenger acceptance/perceptions of the DDB vis-a-vis the conventional bus. Statistics are presented on schedule adherence, dwell times, passenger throughput, vehicle reliability, on-board safety, repair and maintenance costs/capacity mile, and fuel and oil consumption rates. It was concluded that: passengers preferred the DDB; foreign production line vehicles should have been treated as prototypes and undergone extensive on-site testing and re-design before they were produced as standard production line vehicles and accepted for revenue service--this procedure is recommended for all future purchases of double deck vehicles.
- See also Report No. 2, PB-287836.
CACI, Incorporated12011 San Vicente Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA United States 90049
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- McCall, CHJ
- Simkowitz, H
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Pagination: 48 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Bus transit; Buses; Costs; Demonstration projects; Double deck buses; Evaluation; Fuel consumption; Maintenance; Operating costs; Performance; Public opinion; Reliability; Scheduling; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Field performance
- Geographic Terms: California; New York (State)
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity)
- Subject Areas: Energy; Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00186232
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MA-06-0049-78-7Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1082
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 3 1981 12:00AM