CITIZEN'S BAND RADIO SAFETY EVALUATION PROJECT. VOLUME I. TECHNICAL SUMMARY
The experiment employed in the project was designed to evaluate the contributions to highway safety that result from State Police use of Citizen's Band (CB) radio. The experiment shows that State Police use of CB radio, (1) improves response times to requests for assistance, (2) increases the number of reports on unsafe driving acts and conditions, (3) increases public and State Police participation in reporting and responding to highway safety related incidents, and (4) provides for a public/State Police interface. The results obtained from two opinion polls are described. The public opinion poll indicates a high level of acceptance by the public for State Police use of CB radios. The State Trooper opinion poll indicates a high level of troopers acceptance of CB radios and agreements among troopers that CB radio use helps them in the performance of their duties. Recommendations are presented on how the effectiveness of CB radio and related communication supporting the highway system can be improved.
- Prepared in cooperation with Advanced Technology Systems, Inc. Arlington, VA.
New York State PoliceTraffic Section, 1220 Washington Avenue, Bldg 22
Albany, NY United States 12226
Advanced Technology Systems, Incorporated2425 Wilson Boulevard
Arlington, VA United States 22201
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Giangualano, N F
- Crounse, K S
- McPhail, R G
- DeFrancesco, H F
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Pagination: 63 p.
- TRT Terms: Citizen band radio; Communications; Evaluation; Highway safety; Measures of effectiveness; Police vehicles; Public opinion; Radio; Safety engineering; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness; Experimental design
- Geographic Terms: New York (State)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00186229
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-581 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-6-01436
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 3 1979 12:00AM