AGT GUIDEWAY AND STATION TECHNOLOGY. VOLUME 3: GUIDEWAY AND STATION REVIEW
This report is one of eight volumes associated with the AGT Guideway and Station Technology Project. The project objective is to develop guideway, station, and weather-protection concepts which will reduce the cost and implementation time associated with AGT systems and improve performance. The outputs are intended to aid planners, designers, administrators, and others interested in AGT systems and their application to specific transportation needs in urban areas. Automated Guideway Transit (AGT) systems in the United States comprise more than 64 km (40 mi) of guideway, over 70 passenger stations, and nearly 700 vehicles. This report reviews the guideways and stations found at 30 AGT systems and purports to establish the existing state-of-the-art. Related conventional rail transit stations are briefly reviewed to supplement the AGT station material. Information presented was derived from a literature search, personal contact with system manufacturers, operators, and personal experience. This review summarizes the considerations in the design of AGT guideways and includes discussions of vehicle interface, power distribution, weather-related effects, structural alternatives, site-related effects, and ride comfort. For stations, the design considerations include station description, site relationships, and station elements. This coverage of design considerations for both guideways and stations gives an overview of the issues and illustrates them by examples from specific AGT installations. The review also includes a discussion of the codes used in the design of the structures, the construction techniques, and the contracting methods employed for the design and construction of existing AGT guideways and stations.
- See also Volume 2, PB-281632. Prepared in cooperation with ABAM Engineers, Inc. Tacoma, WA.
De Leuw, Cather and Company165 West Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL USA 60601
ABAM Engineers, Incorporated33301 Ninth Avenue, South
Federal Way, WA USA 98003-6395
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Stevens, R D
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 301 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Analysis; Automated guideway transit; Construction; Costs; Design; Guideways; Passenger terminals; Railroad stations; Rapid transit; Structural design; Technology assessment; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Design criteria
- Old TRIS Terms: Guideway design; Mechanical guides; Rapid transit railways; Station design
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Finance; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00186214
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-06-0152-79-2Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-70066
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 3 1982 12:00AM