USERS' MANUAL FOR KALKER'S 'EXACT' NONLINEAR CREEP THEORY
The conversion of the computer program, 'A Programme for Three-Dimensional Steady State Rolling' developed by Professor J.J. Kalker, from the original Algol language to Fortran is considered. This program determines the resultant creep forces and moment for steady state rolling of two bodies of equal or unequal linearly elastic material properties. A related manual for Kalker's 'Simplified Theory of Rolling Contact' is considered in the report 'User's Manual for Kalker's Simplified Nonlinear Creep Theory,' by James G. Goree and E. Harry Law, FRA/ORD-78/06 Contract DOT-OS-40018, December, 1977. The program considered in the present report concerns the same problem except for the extension to unequal materials. It is found that, for equal materials, the 'Simplified Theory' gives approximately the same results as the exact solution in most cases and in those instances where some difference was noted, the simplified theory appears to be in better agreement with experimental results. In addition, the simplified theory reduces the computation time by a factor of approximately 50 to 100.
- Record URL:
- See also report dated December 77, PB-279503.
Clemson UniversityDepartment of Mechanical Engineering
Clemson, SC United States 29631
Chicago, IL United States 60616
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Goree, J G
- Publication Date: 1978-8-15
- Pagination: 55 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Creep; Creep properties; Dynamic loads; Freight cars; Live loads; Needs assessment; Nonlinear systems; Rail (Railroads); Railroad tracks; Rolling contact; Train track dynamics; Vehicle dynamics; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: FORTRAN (Computer program language)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; User needs
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight car dynamics; Ibm 370; Wheel creep
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00186210
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78/50 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-40018
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 3 1979 12:00AM