SAINT LAWRENCE SEAWAY NAVIGATION-AID SYSTEM STUDY. VOLUME III. APPENDIX C - USER'S MANUAL AND DOCUMENTATION OF THE SHIP MANEUVERING REQUIREMENTS COMPUTER PROGRAM
The requirements for a navigation guidance system which will effect an increase in the ship processing capacity of the Saint Lawrence Seaway (Lake Ontario to Montreal, Quebec) are developed. The requirements include a specification of system positioning accuracy and the type and frequency of information which must be displayed to the master of each ship in the Seaway. A detailed development of the logic used to compute Seaway capacity as a function of the guidance system positioning accuracy is presented. A computer program is given which follows this logic and is used to compute Seaway capacity as a function of positioning accuracy for two classes of ships. Various sensitivity analyses are presented. It is shown that the capacity of the Seaway could be increased by up to 30 percent through the use of a navigation guidance system.
- See also Volume 1, PB-287 377. Also available as set of 3 reports PC E09, PB-287 376-SET.
Arctec, Incorporated9104 Red Branch Road
Columbia, MD United States 21045
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Lewis, J W
- Nelka, J J
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 111 p.
- TRT Terms: Cold weather; Computer programs; Flow charts; Information display systems; Inland waterways; Maneuvering; Navigation charts; Navigational aids; Needs assessment; Operations; Position indicators; Radio navigation; Water transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: User needs
- Geographic Terms: Canada; Lake Ontario
- Old TRIS Terms: Navigational charts; Waterway transportation
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00186199
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/TSC/SLSDC-78-1-3, DOT/S
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1395
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Feb 3 2002 12:00AM