SAINT LAWRENCE SEAWAY NAVIGATION-AID SYSTEMS STUDY. VOLUME I. TEXT AND APPENDIXES A AND D
The requirements for a navigation guidance system which will effect an increase in the ship processing capacity of the Saint Lawrence Seaway (Lake Ontario to Montreal, Quebec) are developed. The requirements include a specification of system positioning accuracy and the type and frequency of information which must be displayed to the master of each ship in the Seaway. A detailed development of the logic used to compute Seaway capacity as a function of the guidance system positioning accuracy is presented. A computer program is given which follows this logic and is used to compute Seaway capacity as a function of positioning accuracy for two classes of ships. Various sensitivity analyses are presented. It is shown that the capacity of the Seaway could be increased by up to 30 percent through the use of a navigation guidance system.
- Record URL:
- See also Volume II, Appendix B-User's Manual and Documentation of Seaway Capacity and Capacity Analysis Programs, PB-287378/4ST, and Volume III, Appendix C-User's Manual and Documentation of the Ship Maneuvering Requirements Computer Program, PB-287379/2ST. Also available in set of 3 reports PC E09, PB-287 376-SET.
Arctec, Incorporated9104 Red Branch Road
Columbia, MD United States 21045
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Lewis, J W
- Nelka, J J
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 116 p.
- TRT Terms: Cold weather; Computer programming; Computer programs; Flow charts; Information display systems; Inland waterways; Navigation charts; Navigation systems; Navigational aids; Operations; Position fixing; Position indicators; Radio navigation; Ship pilotage; Water transportation
- Geographic Terms: Canada; Saint Lawrence Seaway
- Old TRIS Terms: Computer programs (Navigation systems); Inland waterways navigation; Navigational charts; Position finding; Waterway transportation
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00186197
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/TSC/SLSDC-78-1-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1395
- Files: NTIS, NTL, TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 3 1979 12:00AM