ACCELERATING MOVING WALKWAY SYSTEMS. SAFETY SEMINAR PROCEEDINGS. REPORT G
This report is part of a series that assess the technology and development of Accelerating Moving Walkway Systems (AMWS). The system is a pedestrian assist device with the capability through changing treadway configuration to accelerate pedestrians to 4 to 5 times the normal entrance speeds after boarding, and to decelerate prior to discharge. On April 18, 1977, a seminar devoted to the discussion of the safety and human factors associated with the development and public use of AMWS was held at the New York World Trade Center. The attendance included representatives of the escalator and moving walk industry, AMWS developers, safety consultants, physically handicapped persons, and representatives of government agencies. The objective of the seminar was to provide a forum for discussion on the potential problems that might be associated with the use of AMWS technology based on its current state-of-the-art. The proceedings included a presentation of films and photographic slides providing illustrative design details of several systems under development; presentations by four consultants concerning AMWS safety; and workshops in which all attendees participated. The four systems considered for a public demonstration program are: Dunlop Speedaway; Trax; Applied Physics Laboratory; and the Boeing System. The meetings closed with the understanding that most of the raised problems can be solved, provided that sufficient efforts are devoted to their study. It was agreed that the proposed demonstration project would be a valuable asset to the development of an acceptable AMWS research program. Appendices 1 and 2 in this report are: The Conference Program and List of Conference Attendees, respectively.
- See also PB-287 083.
Port Authority of New York and New Jersey225 Park Avenue South, 18th Floor
New York, NY United States 10003-1604
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 81 p.
- TRT Terms: Accelerating agents; Behavior; Conferences; Conveyors; Engineering; Human factors; Moving sidewalks; Passenger transportation; Pedestrians; Safety; Safety engineering; Sidewalks; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Accelerating (Process)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00186168
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-06-0126-78-7
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 13 1982 12:00AM