ASSESSMENT OF THE WEDWAY PEOPLEMOVER SYSTEM AT WALT DISNEY WORLD
SRI conducted this study as part of an assessment program sponsored by UMTA. The purpose of the program is to gain an in-depth understanding of the performance, capabilities, and limitations of the AGT systems at WALT DISNEY WORLD, Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, Fairlane Town Center, Tampa International Airport, Houston Intercontinental Airport, and King's Dominion Amusement Park, as well as to provide a uniformly documented presentation of automated guideway transit (AGT) installations for UMTA's AGT program and for use by other research groups and interested parties. This final report, one of six site reports, describes and assesses the WEDway PeopleMover System, an automated guideway transit system used for passenger transport at WALT DISNEY WORLD in Lake Buena Vista, Florida. Information and data were collected by the authors through surveys of technical literature; formal site visits; interviews with operators, management, and engineering personnel; and a visit to the system manufacturer. The WEDway system represents the state-of-the-art in passive vehicles; it is completely passive except for its mechanical running gear. WEDway consists of a single 4,600-ft closed loop with only one station. Although it carries more than 4.5 million passengers/yr, there have been no serious accidents. The system design has resulted in a very reliable system. The use of a linear induction motor as the prime mover has shown efficiencies both in operation and maintenance. The authors state that although the WEDway exceeds its operational requirements, future work is necessary to explore the advantages/disadvantages of a passive system before durability of the system is determined.
- See also report dated Dec 77, PB-281820.
SRI International333 Ravenswood Avenue
Menlo Park, CA USA 94025-3493
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Yen, A M
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Pagination: 96 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Automated guideway transit; Automatic control; Automation; Costs; Electric vehicles; Guideways; Human factors engineering; Induction motors; Passenger transportation; People movers; Performance; Personal rapid transit; Ridership; Systems engineering
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Geographic Terms: Florida; Lake Buena Vista (Florida)
- Subject Areas: Energy; Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Passenger Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00186162
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-06-0135-77-5Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-70034
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 13 1981 12:00AM