ANALYSIS OF ACCIDENT DATA AND HOURS OF SERVICE OF INTERSTATE COMMERCIAL MOTOR VEHICLE DRIVERS
The report presents the results of an analysis of the relationship between commercial motor vehicle accidents and the hours of service and rest of drivers regulated by the Bureau of Motor Carrier Safety. A total of 25,666 single and two-man truck accidents and 483 bus accidents, occurring during 1976, were analyzed with data from the Motor Carrier Accident Report Forms (50T and 50B) and a special supplementary driver service and rest report form. A limited volume of driver exposure data was available for comparative analysis. The topics covered include the hours of service regulations; driving, duty fatigue and accidents occurring between periods of extended rest; rest and the use of a sleeper berth; driver age, experience and physical condition; cyclic patterns; and, carrier and vehicle characteristics.
Bureau of Motor Carrier Safety1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
Genasys CorporationWashington, DC USA
Safety Management Institute7979 Old Georgetown Road, Suite 600
Bethesda, MD USA 20014
- Hackman, K D
- Larson, E E
- Shinder, A E
- Publication Date: 1978-8-11
- Pagination: 74 p.
- TRT Terms: Age; Buses; Circadian rhythms; Commercial vehicles; Common carriers; Crash exposure; Crash investigation; Crash rates; Data analysis; Drivers; Fatigue (Physiological condition); Federal government; Highways; Hours; Knowledge; Level of service; Mathematical analysis; Safety and security; Sleep; Standards; Traffic crashes; Transportation safety; Trucks; Vehicle characteristics; Work rules
- Uncontrolled Terms: Experience; Exposure; Motor vehicle accidents; Services; Working time
- Old TRIS Terms: Personal allowances
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00186155
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Statistical Reference File, TSC
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TSR, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 13 1979 12:00AM