ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF A THEORY OF TRAVELER ATTITUDE-BEHAVIOR INTERRELATIONSHIPS: VOLUME II. THEORETICAL AND EMPIRICAL FINDINGS
The second volume of this final report presents conceptual and empirical findings which support the development of a theory of traveler attitude-behavior interrelationships. Such a theory will be useful in the design of transport systems and operating policies which satisfy passenger requirements. A brief consideration of theoretical concepts precedes the review of the empirical methodology.The structure of traveler attitude-behavior interrelationships is examined for two transport modes, buses and carpools, over three different datasets. Among the major findings are that traveler attitudes influence behavior toward transport alternatives and that traveler attitudes and behavior mutually affect each other. Various theoretical extensions of this work are described. A new quantitative procedure for assessing differences between travel market segments is developed and implemented. The relevance of the modeling orientation to transport system design and policy analysis is noted. Some implications of the modeling approach for data collection efforts are also noted.
- See also Volume 1, PB-286663 and Volume 3, PB-286665. Also available in a set of 3 reports, PB-286662/SET.
CHARLES RIVER ASSOCIATESCAMBRIDGE, MA USA
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Pagination: 246 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Automobiles; Behavior; Buses; Consumer protection; Empirical methods; Marketing; Mathematical models; Measurement; Mode choice; Needs assessment; Passenger service; Passengers; Sociology; Theory; Transportation; Transportation planning; Travel; Travel demand; Urban development; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Interaction; User needs
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Operations and Traffic Management; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00186117
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CRA-347-VOL-2, DOT-TSC-RSPA-78-14-VOL-2
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1326
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1981 12:00AM