ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF A THEORY OF TRAVELER ATTITUDE-BEHAVIOR INTERRELATIONSHIPS: VOLUME I. INPUT TO THEORY DEVELOPMENT
The first volume of this Final Report is principally directed at the generation of materials to facilitate the development of a theory of traveler attitude-behavior interrelationships. Such a theory will be useful in the design of transport systems and operating policies which satisfy passenger requirements. Literature review efforts were undertaken to survey attitudinal and marketing concepts which could contribute to theory development. Attitudes are divided into three components in order to better understand how they relate to traveler behavior. Hierarchical and multiattribute models are explicitly considered. It is recognized that not all travelers are identical, and market segmentation is an aspect of our modeling orientation designed to account for differences between groups of travelers. A tentative model framework is presented along with an overview of how to quantitatively evaluate variations within the framework. This volume concludes with a review of data collection considerations that support quantitative analyses of traveler attitude-behavior interrelationships.
- See also Volume 2, PB-286664. Also available in a set of 3 reports, PB-286662/SET.
CHARLES RIVER ASSOCIATESCAMBRIDGE, MA USA
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Pagination: 195 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Behavior; Consumer behavior; Consumer preferences; Consumer protection; Marketing; Mathematical models; Mode choice; Passenger service; Passengers; Policy; Reviews; Sociology; Theory; Transportation; Transportation planning; Travel; Travel demand; Urban development; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Interaction
- Old TRIS Terms: Government policies
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00186116
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CRA-347-VOL-1 Final Rpt., DOT-TSC-RSPA-78-14-VOL-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1326
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1981 12:00AM