VEHICLE LATERAL CONTROL AND SWITCHING TECHNOLOGY EVALUATION MODELS STUDY PROGRESS REPORT. COST AND WEIGHT MODEL
The Vehicle Lateral Control and Switching (VLACS) project has been established to investigate alternative steering and switching systems applicable to a variety of automated transit vehicles. The VLACS project tests include a review of existing lateral control and switching technology, detailed mathematical modeling analysis and simulation, detailed hardware studies, experimentation with alternative designs, and development of guideline specifications for VLACS systems. A usable life-cycle cost and weight model is available for immediate application to automated guideway transit (AGT) nominal designs and control alternatives from these designs. The model incorporates the design goals delineated herein; a test case has been successfully run. This document contains a description of the cost and weight model for VLACS systems. The model is a life-cycle cost and weight model which focuses on system components which vary with lateral control option. This model is to be used to evaluate the cost and weight of VLACS design for four classes of AGT vehicles: Shuttle Loop Transit (PRT), Group Rapid Transit (GRT) large and small, and Personal Rapid Transit (PRT). Numerous illustrations and tables related to the model, its programs and subroutines, as well as a list of references are contained herein. This report concludes that the model has been structured to allow for evolution to keep the model current and usable. Relative inflation rates will be added to this model in the immediate future, and a test case using data for the SLT nominal design will be run at General Research Corporation. The model will then be converted to Otis equipment and an updated version of this report will be prepared.
- See also report dated Mar 78,PB-284799.
Otis Elevator CompanyTransportation Technology Division, 11380 Smith Road
Denver, CO USA 80010
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Graver, C A
- Fry, C M
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Pagination: 142 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Automated guideway transit; Automatic control; Computer programs; Control systems; Costs; Intelligent transportation systems; Rapid transit; Steering; Switching; Urban transportation; Weight
- Identifier Terms: FORTRAN (Computer program language)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Rapid transit railways
- Subject Areas: Finance; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00186111
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: OTIS/TTD-VLACS-025 Final Rpt., UMTA-IT-06-0156-78-4
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-70088
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 29 1982 12:00AM