EVALUATION AND SYSTEM DESCRIPTION OF ASAP JUDICIAL SYSTEMS. VOLUME V: PHOENIX, ARIZONA CASE STUDY
The objective of the Phoenix case study was to document and assess the efforts of the Phoenix drinking-driver control system to manage an exceptionally large volume of drinking-driving cases and to provide an inducement for DWI offenders to participate in appropriate alcohol therapy. The study described and evaluated a special prosecution-based program called PACT. PACT is a comprehensive plea-bargaining program designed to provide an expedient, uniform, and fair method of classifying and diverting DWI offenders into a short-term alcohol rehabilitation program with the incentive of earning a plea bargain which avoided a mandatory jail sentence. The PACT concept was found to be effective and transferable to any system requiring a routine, high-volume but discriminating referral mechanism.
- See also Volume 4, PB-285952 and Volume 6, PB-285954. Also available in set of 6 reports PC E14, PB-285 948-SET.
Indiana University, BloomingtonInstitute for Research in Public Safety
Bloomington, IN United States 47401
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Palmer, J A
- Ripberger, R J
- Skelton, D T
- Scrimgeour, G J
- Publication Date: 1978-7
- Pagination: 111 p.
- TRT Terms: Alcoholic beverages; Alcoholism; Driver rehabilitation; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Federal assistance programs; Incentives; Jurisprudence and judicial processes; Legal factors; Legislation; Litigation; Policy; Prevention; Project management; Prosecution; Regulations; Safety; State government; Traffic crashes
- Identifier Terms: Alcohol Safety Action Program
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents; Rehabilitation
- Geographic Terms: Arizona
- Old TRIS Terms: Asap (Alcohol safety action program)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Law; Policy; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00186072
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-472 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-4-00958
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 29 1979 12:00AM