THE AMOCO CADIZ OIL SPILL. A PRELIMINARY SCIENTIFIC REPORT. SPECIAL REPORT
A preliminary account of the United States (EPA and NOAA interagency oil spill response team) scientific efforts in response to the Amoco Cadiz oil spill during the period March 19 to May 15, 1978 is provided. Approximately 64,000 tons of oil came ashore along 72 km of the shoreline of Brittany during the first 2 1/2 weeks of the spill. A prevailing westerly wind pushed the oil against west-facing headlands and into shoreline embayments as it moved east. A wind reversal in early April moved the oil in the opposite direction, contaminating previously untouched areas. Coastal processes and geomorphology played a major role in the dispersal and accumulation of the oil once it came onshore. Studies include: Physical processes; Chemical composition of selected environmental and petroleum samples from the Amoco Cadiz oil spill; Investigations of beach processes; Biological observations; Oil spill cleanup activities; Chronology; Colored plates.
- Prepared in cooperation with Environmental Research Lab., Narragansett, R.I.
National Oceanic and Atmospheric AdministrationEnvironment Research Laboratories
Boulder, CO USA 80302
Environmental Protection AgencyEnvironmental Research Laboratory, 50 Ferry Road
Narragansett, RI USA 02882
- Hess, W N
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Pagination: 355 p.
- TRT Terms: Aquatic life; Beaches; Birds; Charts; Chemical composition; Cleaning; Coasts; Crashes; Dispersers; Ecology; Environmental impacts; Impacts; Maps; Marine biology; Ocean tides; Oil spill cleanup; Oil spills; Photographs; Tankers; Transport properties (Physics)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Seals (Animals); Transport properties
- Old TRIS Terms: Biological effects (Oil); Dispersion; Oil dispersal; Oil spill impact; Process charting; Tanker ships
- Subject Areas: Environment; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00186018
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NOAA-78080901
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1979 12:00AM