THE EFFECTIVENESS OF AN AT-HOME DRIVERS LICENSING LAW TEST: AN EVALUATION OF THE GOOD DRIVER COMPONENT OF CALIFORNIA'S SELECTIVE TESTING PROGRAM
Drivers with no accidents and convictions, and drivers with one accident or conviction during the prior three years were sent an at-home drivers licensing law test. The test was mailed two months prior to the expiration of their license and was to be taken in lieu of the regular renewal written test given at the field office. There were no significant overall effects of treatment on subsequent one year accidents or convictions. There were significant effects of treatment for certain subgroups however. Subjects who were misclassified as clean record drivers because they had received a citation or had been involved in an accident at such a recent point in time that it was not yet on their record when they were classified, had significantly more subsequent accidents. Male drivers under the age of 30 who were correctly classified as having clean records had significantly more convictions. Male subjects who were misclassified as having only one conviction or accident had significantly more convictions subsequent to treatment. Correctly classified female drivers with one prior accident or conviction had significantly fewer convictions subsequent to treatment.
California Department of Motor VehiclesP.O. Box 11828, 2415 1st Avenue
Sacramento, CA United States 95813
- Harrington, D M
- RATZ, M
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Behavior; Crash rates; Driver performance; Driver records; Drivers; Driving tests; Education; Examinations; Highway transportation; Licenses; Personnel performance; Prevention; Safety; Tests; Traffic conviction; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Convictions; Motor vehicle accidents
- Geographic Terms: California
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00185993
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CAL-DMV-RSS-77-60 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 29 1979 12:00AM