HAZARDOUS WASTE CONTAINERS AND LABELING: APPLICABILITY OF DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION REGULATIONS
A study was conducted to determine the applicability of Department of Transportation Hazardous Materials Regulations for packaging and labeling of hazardous wastes. The study reveals that DOT regulations cover a narrower range of materials than does EPA authority under RCRA, Section 3001; DOT regulations generally cover materials with the more acute hazard characteristics. The study recommends that DOT container regulations be adopted by EPA for hazardous wastes. For those materials not regulated by DOT and certain DOT-regulated materials that are not particularly hazardous (e.g. tar liquid, jute-packing), the study recommends that specification non-reusable and single-trip containers and non-specification containers be authorized for use. DOT regulations for labeling and marking are also recommended for adoption by EPA. Materials not covered by DOT labeling requirements would be subject to regulation by a labeling system developed by EPA. The study concludes that existing data on long term container and label survivability are inadequate and the subject requires further study.
Moshman Associates, Incorporated6400 Goldsboro Road
Bethesda, MD United States 20034
Environmental Protection Agency401 M Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20460
- ABRAHAM, D G
- Winchester, J J
- Bierlein, L W
- Rousseau, G
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 142 p.
- TRT Terms: Containerization; Federal assistance programs; Federal government; Hazardous materials; Labeling; Materials; Materials management; Packaging; Regulations; Safety; Specifications; Warning systems; Wastes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Federal programs
- Old TRIS Terms: Containerizing; Materials specifications
- Subject Areas: Environment; Freight Transportation; Highways; Law; Materials; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00185949
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA/530/SW-166C Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: EPA-68-01-4678
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1979 12:00AM