THE ALASKA RAILROAD: ITS MANAGEMENT IS BEING IMPROVED; ITS FUTURE NEEDS TO BE DECIDED
The Alaska Railroad has not effectively managed some of its affairs and there is doubt what its future role will be. Some of its weaknesses are (1) no overall marketing plan, (2) loss of revenue, and (3) inadequate financial management procedures and practices. However, the Federal Railroad Administration and the Railroad have taken actions to correct many of the problems. The Congress should decide whether the Federal Government should continue to own and operate the Railroad.
- Record URL:
U.S. General Accounting Office441 G Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20548
- Publication Date: 1978-7-27
- Pagination: 82 p.
- TRT Terms: Competition; Federal government; Finance; Management; Marketing; Nationalization; Ownership; Policy; Railroads; Revenues
- Identifier Terms: Alaska Railroad
- Uncontrolled Terms: Financial management
- Geographic Terms: Alaska
- Old TRIS Terms: Government policies; Management policies
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00185946
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CED-78-137 Cong Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1979 12:00AM