COMPREHENSIVE ECONOMIC ADJUSTMENT STRATEGY FOR THE HOLLYWOOD-BURBANK AIRPORT CLOSURE
The Economic Adjustment Strategy assesses potential economic impacts that would result from closure of the Hollywood-Burbank Airport and addresses mitigation strategies to avoid closure. The potential of airport closure is a result of a decision by the private owner of the airport, the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation. The impacts of these closure conditions could result in a loss of 1,011 to 11,311 direct jobs with impacts ranging from small localized effects to severe regional effects. The mitigation strategy described in this report is that of implementing public purchase to continue airport operations. Preparation of the economic impact assessments presented in this report are a part of the extensive mitigation and planning work which has been conducted since 1972 when the Corporation first discussed divestment of the property. The economic impacts of closure would be felt acutely in the City of Burbank where tax revenues would be lost. The skills and other characteristics of workers affected by closure are important in determining their ability to find new employment.
- Prepared for Burbank Community Development and Planning Dept., Calif.
Henningson, Durham and RichardsonEcosciences Division
Santa Barbara, CA USA
Burbank Community Development and Planning DeptBurbank, CA USA
Economic Development Administration14th Street, Between E St and Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Pagination: 314 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Airport operations; Airports; Civil aviation; Commercial transportation; Economic analysis; Economic impacts; Employment; Finance; Land use; Land use planning; Lane closure; Revenues
- Identifier Terms: Bob Hope Airport (Burbank, California)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Closures
- Geographic Terms: California
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Finance; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00185910
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EDA-78/095
- Contract Numbers: EDA-07-09-01783
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1979 12:00AM