EFFECTS OF NON-UNIFORM SEISMIC DISTURBANCES ON THE DUMBARTON BRIDGE REPLACEMENT STRUCTURE
This report is the third in a series that deals with the design of the Dumbarton Bridge Replacement Structure for resisting seismic disturbances. The Replacement Structure is a long multi-span bridge which will be located approximately equidistant (ten miles) from the San Andreas and Hayward Faults. In the report particular reference is made to a final selection of the girder types and the articulation of the Replacement Structure. The final design is analyzed for various ground motions, including ground surface motions which propagate along, oblique, and transverse to the longitudinal axis of the bridge. This third and final phase of the investigation deals with the influences of spatial distributions of ground motion on the maximum values of response of the Replacement Structure. Three categories of ground motion are considered: (a) Uniform distributions of the S18 + design earthquake motions developed for Thick-Mud and Deep-Water sections. (b) Various distributions of propagating and stationary ground surface waves. (c) Various patterns of ground displacements that are possible and may be caused by residual deformations of the soils along the structure. The characteristics of each category of ground motion are defined, and bounds on the maximum values of the different parameters of motion are obtained. The characteristics and bounds are both related to the properties of the two soil conditions at the site, and their selections for uses in design to the articulation and horizontal dimensions of the Replacement Structure. Finally criteria are developed for seismic design of the Replacement Structure.
- Sponsored in part by California State Dept. of Transportation, Sacramento. Toll Bridge Administration.
University of California, BerkeleyToll Bridge Administration, Richmond Field Station
Richmond, CA USA 94804
California Department of Transportation1120 N Street
Sacramento, CA USA 95814
- Baron, F
- Hamati, R E
- Publication Date: 1976-7
- Pagination: 338 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridge design; Bridge foundations; Bridge piers; Bridges; Concrete construction; Construction; Deformation; Earth movements (Geophysics); Earthquake resistant design; Earthquake resistant structures; Elastic waves; Girder bridges; Girders; Soils; Steel; Structural design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Earth movements; Soil conditions; Soil deformation
- Geographic Terms: California; San Francisco Bay
- Old TRIS Terms: Steel construction
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00185824
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EERC-76-19
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 29 1979 12:00AM