A STUDY OF CHARACTERISTICS OF INTERCITY TRANSPORTATION SYSTEMS. PHASE 1: DEFINITION OF TRANSPORTATION COMPARISON METHODOLOGY
Decision making in early transportation planning must be responsive to complex value systems representing various policies and objectives. The assessment of alternative transportation concepts during the early initial phases of the system life cycle, when supportive research and technology development activities are defined, requires estimates of transportation, environmental, and socio-economic impacts throughout the system life cycle, which is a period of some 40 or 50 years. A unified methodological framework for comparing intercity passenger and freight transportation systems is described and is extended to include the comparison of long term transportation trends arising from implementation of the various R & D programs. The attributes of existing and future transportation systems are reviewed in order to establish measures for comparison, define value functions, and attribute weightings needed for comparing alternative policy actions for furthering transportation goals. Comparison criteria definitions and an illustrative example are included.
- Subm-Sponsored in Part by DOT.
Econergy IncorporatedLos Angeles, CA USA
- English, J M
- SMITH, J L
- Lifson, M W
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Pagination: 202 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Cities; Competition; Decision making; Economic analysis; Economic factors; Energy consumption; Environment; Environmental impacts; Freight transportation; Intercity transportation; Life cycle analysis; Life cycle costing; Mathematical models; Passenger transportation; Passengers; Problem solving; Social factors; Socioeconomic factors; Technological forecasting; Transportation; Transportation modes; Transportation planning; Transportation policy; Value engineering
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation energy
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Finance; Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00185810
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-CR-152153-1
- Contract Numbers: NAS2-9814
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1979 12:00AM