EXECUTIVE SUMMARY: BENEFIT-COST EVALUATION OF AN INTRA-REGIONAL AIR SERVICE IN THE BAY AREA AND A TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT OF TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM INVESTMENTS
The benefits and costs that would result from an intra-regional air service operation in the San Francisco Bay area were determined by utilizing an iterative statistical decision model to evaluate combinations of commuter airport sites and surface transportation facilities in conjunction with service by a given commuter aircraft type in light of area regional growth alternatives and peak and off-peak regional travel patterns. The model evaluates such transportation option with respect to criteria of airline profitability, public acceptance, and public and private non-user costs. In so doing, it incorporates information on modal split, peak and off-peak use of the air commuter fleet, terminal and airport costs, development costs and uses of land in proximity to the airport sites, regional population shifts, and induced zonal shifts in travel demand. The model is multimodal in its analytic capability, and performs exhaustive sensitivity analysis.
University of Washington, SeattleDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering, P.O. Box 352700
Seattle, WA USA 98195-2700
- Haefner, L E
- Publication Date: 1978-3-31
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation; Aircraft operations; Airlines; Airport planning; Airports; Benefit cost analysis; Commuter airlines; Cost effectiveness; Decision theory; Investments; Iterative methods; Land use; Land use planning; Location; Markov processes; Passenger aircraft; Regional planning; Technology assessment; Travel demand; Travel patterns; Urban transportation
- Geographic Terms: California; San Francisco Bay; San Francisco Bay Area
- Old TRIS Terms: Airline operations
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Economics; Public Transportation; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00185780
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-CR-152154-1 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NSG-2170
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1981 12:00AM