LORAN-C, OMEGA, AND DIFFERENTIAL OMEGA APPLIED TO THE CIVIL AIR NAVIGATION REQUIREMENT OF CONUS, ALASKA, AND OFFSHORE. VOLUME I. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The objectives of this study were basically twofold. The first was to validate the civil air navigation requirements for CONUS, CONUS Offshore, Alaska, and Alaska Offshore. A requirements matrix was developed to provide a common basis for defining the requirements across all the geographic areas considered. The second basic objective was to assess the capabilities of Loran-C, Omega, Differential Omega, and VLF communications toward meeting the requirements. Loran-C offers total all-altitude coverage for all geographic regions given existing and proposed chains. The primary drawback is the large area and, hence, number of aircraft affected by single station outage. With suitable redundancy, Loran-C could meet the civil air navigation requirements as a primary or supplementary navigation system in all geographic regions. Omega lacks adequate coverage over CONUS. Therefore, Omega and Differential Omega are candidates only in Alaska, Alaska Offshore and most of CONUS Offshore. Omega, however, does not meet the accuracy requirements for nonprecision approaches or in high density terminal areas, whereas, Differential Omega is expected to.
- See also Volume 2, AD-A056 741.
Systems Control, Incorporated260 Sheridan Avenue
Palo Alto, CA United States 94306
- HEINE, W
- Farkalik, F G
- MCCONKEY, E D
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Pagination: 44 p.
- TRT Terms: Airborne navigational aids; Altitude; Instrument flying; Loran; Loran C; Navigational aids; Offshore structures; Omega navigation system; Radio links; Very low frequency; Visual flight
- Uncontrolled Terms: Low altitude; Visual flight rules
- Geographic Terms: Alaska
- Old TRIS Terms: Omega navigation
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Bridges and other structures;
- Accession Number: 00185506
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-78-30-1 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FA75WA-3662
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 29 1979 12:00AM