DATA BASE DEVELOPMENT OF AUTOMOBILE AND LIGHT TRUCK MAINTENANCE. VOLUMES I-III
The development of the life cycle maintenance costs for 212 sales-leading 1970 through 1975 passenger cars and light trucks is described. These costs provide a data base for the Department of Transportation, which describes the costs for parts and labor for performing both the scheduled (manufacturers recommended) and typical unscheduled (replacement of worn out parts) maintenance for each of these 212 vehicles. The actual data base is contained in Appendices E and F which constitute Volumes II and III. This report also describes where the service work is performed during the vehicle life cycle. In addition, the automotive service industry has been characterized. This characterization includes the facility (building) costs, land requirements, tools and equipment requirements, inventories investment costs and operating capital required to operate a service establishment. The major types of service facilities which perform most of the commercially done repair work were characterized. These establishments are representative of the 29,600 new car dealers, 86,200 gasoline service stations, 30,650 independent repair garages, and 12,280 specialty shops in existence in 1975. The policies used by the service industry in pricing replacement parts are also presented. The report details the price discounting policies of the industry parts suppliers, including the automobile manufacturers and aftermarket parts manufacturers, as well as those of the parts distribution system (jobbers, new car dealers, oil companies, and specialty shops).
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/HS827R8408
- Performed by Arthur D. Little, Incorporated under contract to the Transportation Systems Center (USDOT). Sponsored by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Little (Arthur D), IncorporatedAcorn Park
Cambridge, MA United States 02140
- Hurter, D A
- Gardella, N G
- Gott, P G
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 776 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobile industry; Automobile repair shops; Automobiles; Databases; Delivery vehicles; Facilities; Life span; Light trucks; Maintenance equipment; Maintenance management; Parts; Prices; Service stations; Vehicle maintenance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Maintenance costs
- Old TRIS Terms: Repair shops
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Society; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00185437
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- ISBN: HS827/R8408
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-803-376 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC 1047-1, DOT-TSC 1047-2, DOT-TSC 1047-3
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM