REPORT ON COMMITTEE ON WHEELS
As a result of two meetings in 1955 and 1956 and Committee action this report is submitted on the following subjects: wheels--cast steel. Progress reports on two experimental designs, AARX-2 and AARX-3 were analyzed and approval of both as AAR standards was recommended. Wheels-wrought steel. Ultrasonic testing was recommended on new diesel locomotive wheels for a two year period to provide additional data for correlation of size of discontinuity with indication. A dimensional study of design F-36 was completed and no changes were recommended. Wheels and Axles. A ballot to discontinue mandatory magnetic particle inspection of freight car axles between wheel seats was submitted. Wheel and Axle Manual. Complete revision of the Wheel and Axle Manual will be made after decision is reached on the adoption of new designs of cast steel wheels. Changes in specifications and designs for axle dimensions for passenger cars, spun multiple wear cast steel wheels, cast iron wheel defects and boring mill practice were also made.
Chicago, IL USA 60605
- Garin, P V
- Publication Date: 1956-5-26
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 65 p.
- TRT Terms: Axles; Diesel locomotives; Freight cars; Inspection; Locomotives; Nondestructive tests; Passenger cars; Railroad cars; Size; Specifications; Standards; Technology; Ultrasonic tests; Vehicle design; Wheels
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Axle design; Wheel design
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00040782
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Circular D.V.-1368
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 8 1994 12:00AM