APPLICATION RATES OF SODIUM CHLORIDE AND LIQUID CALCIUM CHLORIDE
A limited study of deicing salt application procedures was conducted in Jefferson County over a two year period. This study attempted to document the effectiveness of the prewetted salt technique. However, due to continual problems with the calibration of salt spreading equipment and occasional breakdowns of this equipment, reductions in the amount of deicing salt used due to the prewetting of the salt could not be accurately documented in Jefferson County. In some situations, the application of prewetted salt resulted in the reglazing of the pavement causing further slippery conditions. There did appear to be value to the prewetted salt technique as used in the urban areas of Milwaukee County. The results from this study showed that the application of prewetted salt on the rural sections of IH94 should be terminated; however, comments from personnel in Milwaukee County indicated that the use of prewetted salt should be continued on Milwaukee County freeways. /Author/
Madison, WI United States 53715
- Martinelli, T J
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Calcium chloride; Deicing; Rates; Sodium chloride; Stabilizers
- Old TRIS Terms: Application of stabilizers
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00185398
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Wisconsin Department of Transportation
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Feb 3 1979 12:00AM