MEASURES FOR ENSURING THE NORMAL OPERATION OF DIESEL LOCOMOTIVE COOLING SYSTEMS UNDER WINTER OPERATION CONDITIONS
MEROPRIYATIYA PO OBESPECHENIUY NORMAL'NOY RABOTY TEPLOVOZNYKH KHOLODIL'NIKOV VIMNIKH USLOVIYAKH EKSPLUATATSII
Given are the measures and recommendations developed at TsNII (the All-Union Order of the Red Banner of Labor Scientific Research Institute of Railroad Transport) of the U.S.S.R. Ministry of Railway Transport for the prevention of failures of air-oil cooling systems on paired-unit TE3 diesel locomotives in winter time. Design modifications made on the TE3 diesel locomotive for operating in very low temperatures are described; the principle employed is to raise the temperature of the ambient air around the cooling system by means of mixing cold outside air with air heated in the cooling system and blown by the ventilator. Provided are additional technical requirements developed for the operation of air-oil cooling systems with hydrodynamic and hydrostatic driven fans on 2TE10L and TEP60 diesel locomotives with outside temperatures as low as minus 55 degrees C. Findings from tests on a TE3 diesel locomotive are given; this locomotive is one of a series on which a mechanism is used to reduce rarefaction in the diesel compartment and engineer's cab.
- Full translation available at the Joint Publications Research Service, 1000 North Glebe Road, Arlington, Virginia 22201.
USSR Ministry of RailwaysNovo-Basmannaya, Ulitsa 2
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Cold weather; Cooling systems; Diesel electric locomotives; Heating; Low temperature; Operations
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00185357
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 3 1979 12:00AM