BICYCLE-SAFE GRATE INLETS STUDY VOLUME TWO--HYDRAULIC CHARACTERISTICS OF THREE SELECTED GRATE INLETS ON CONTINUOUS GRADES
Additional hydraulic tests were conducted on three grate inlet designs identified as bicycle safe, hydraulically efficient and having good debris handling characteristics. The grates were selected based on the results of a previous study--Bicycle-safe Grate Inlets Study--Volume I, Hydraulic and Safety Characteristics of Selected Grate Inlets on Continuous Grades. The major objective of the initial study was to identify, develop, and analyze selected grate inlets which maximize hydraulic efficiency and bicycle safety. Numerous design curves are provided to aid the hydraulic design engineers with grate inlet selection. /FHWA/
- Sponsored by the Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration.
Bureau of ReclamationEngineering and Research Center, Bldg 67, Denver Federal Center
Denver, CO USA 80225
- Burgi, P H
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Pagination: 154 p.
- TRT Terms: Bicycles; Design; Designers; Grates; Hydraulics; Safety; Slopes; Structural design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Grades; Hydraulic design
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00185274
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-78- 4 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: PO-5-3-0166
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM