NON-USER IMPACTS OF DIFFERENT HIGHWAY DESIGNS AS MEASURED BY LAND USE AND LAND VALUE CHANGES
Many studies are found in the literature pertaining to highway impacts on nonusers. This report contains a review of the types of highway impacts, highway impact assessment elements, techniques available to measure land use and land value impacts, and findings of previous studies which indicate the magnitude of land use and land value changes resulting from various types of highway improvement. The land use and/or land value impact measurement techniques are of three major types: (1) land use--land value measurement models, (2) land use--traffic models, and (3) land use--urban development models. Those of the first group have been used much more frequently than those of the other two groups. The finding of land use and land value studies are briefly described in narrative, tabular, or graphic form, acording to the following "key" characteristics of highway improvements and affected areas: (1) location of impact area, (2) type of highway improvement, (3) stage of development of impact area, and (4) dominant land use of impact area. The bulk of highway impact research has been directed toward measuring land use and land value impacts of new limited access highways located in suburban and rural areas. The literature contains no procedure that is designed for the highway analyst to use impact data from previous studies in predicting land use and land value impacts of proposed highway improvements. /FHWA/
- Sponsored by Texas State Department of Highways and Public Transportation. Research performed in cooperation with the Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration and the sponsor. Study title: Economics of Highway Design Alternatives.
Arlington, TX USA 76011
- Buffington, J L
- Herndon, C W
- Weiss, M E
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 155 p.
- TRT Terms: Highway design; Highways; Impact studies; Improvements; Land use; Land values; Mathematical models; Reviews; Socioeconomic factors; Traffic; Urban development
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Society;
- Accession Number: 00185267
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-TX-78-225(2) Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: Res Study 2-8-77-225
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM