FACTORS AFFECTING THE STRUCTURAL RESPONSE OF EMULSIFIED ASPHALT-AGGREGATE MIXTURES
An extensive laboratory study is conducted to determine the effects of several factors on the structural response of emulsified asphalt-aggregate mixtures. The major purpose of the study is to develop recommendations for mixture design procedures. Many factors are believed to influence the performance of dense graded emulsified asphalt mixtures in pavement bases, but the following were selected for evaluation in the test series reported in this report: residual asphalt content, compactive effort, moisture content at compaction, curing time after compaction, and aggregate type. other factors were also evaluated including moisture content at testing, voids (air plus moisture), total liquid content, and moisture absorbed during a special soak test. Four tests were evaluated including: modified Marshall stability, indirect tensile test, resilient modulus, and a moisture absorption test. Many significant results were obtained relating to the effects of these factors on the strutural response of the mixtures. Nearly all of the previously listed factors were found to influence the response of the mixture and recommendations for mixture design based upon these results are summarized. /FHWA/
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by the Illinois Department of Transportation and conducted in cooperation with the Department of Transportation, Federal Higwhay Administration. Study title: Structural Evaluation of Asphalt-Aggregate Cold Mix Bases.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignEngineering Experiment Station
Urbana, IL United States 61801
- Darter, M I
- WILKEY, P L
- Ahlfield, S
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 99 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Asphalt content; Compaction; Concrete curing; Emulsified asphalt; Mix design; Moisture content; Structural analysis; Structural mechanics; Void ratios
- Uncontrolled Terms: Structural behavior
- Old TRIS Terms: Void
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00185259
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-IL-78-UI-173 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: IHR-505
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM