FORCE TRANSIENTS AT GUIDEWAY BUTT JOINTS IN REPULSIVE MAGNETIC LEVITATION SYSTEM
To provide for thermal expansion, the guideway for the repulsive levitation of high-speed ground transport would be jointed. The presence of these joints (ohmic discontinuities) interrupts the stationary pattern of the eddy-current in the guideway as the superconducting magnet traverses across them. This change in eddy current distribution causes a time transient in the Lorentz force acting on the magnet. The nature of this joint force is of engineering interest especially if it incurs a loss of lift or if its pulsations affect the ride quality. The objective of this paper is to examine the nature of this transient force. The butt joint is considered here. because it represents the worst case. The effect of butt joints on the force components is analyzed by the dynamic circuit theory. Predicted results show very good agreement with measurements.
- IEEE Power Eng Soc, Summer Meeting, Los Angeles, California, July 16-21, 1978.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers3 Park Avenue, 17th Floor
New York, NY USA 10016-5997
- Ooi, B T
- Jain, O P
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Eddy currents; Electric railroads; Guideways; Intelligent transportation systems; Jointed track; Magnetic levitation; Ride quality; Structural design; Vehicles
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Guideway design; Lorentz force
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00184959
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper F 78 733-8 Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 13 1979 12:00AM