DEVELOPMENT OF A DC LINEAR MOTOR -- 2. RESEARCH FOR A GROUND COIL AND FIELD-MAGNET
A test facility has been constructed for the linear motor car mainly to examine its propulsion characteristies. The 3.3 ton vehicle has a 2 ton propulsion force and can be accelerated to 165 Km/h in 200 m. The DC Linear Motor (DCLM) is made up of three main components: a ground coil, a field-magnet and a flip-flop type thyristor inverter. This paper deals with the development of the ground coil and the field-magnet. The ground coil is equivalent to the armature coil of the conventional rotary motor. The fundamental construction of the ground coil is of a air-core type so as to prevent the attractive force caused by the field-magnet. It is molded into a broad with FRP. Since the field-magnet is a part of the DCLM car and straddles the ground coil, the magnetic flux of the field-magnet passes through the ground coil. In order to have a light-weight field-magnet, the ground coil must be as thin as possible. The field magnet must be designed to minimize its weight and its exciting power, given a gap length, magnetic strength and region of magnetic flux. Ordinarily, the generated heat quantity of a magnet coil is very large, so the cooling of the magnet coil is necessary. The results of test with actual models are described.
- IEEE Power Eng Soc, Summer Meeting, Los Angeles, California, July 16-21, 1978.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers3 Park Avenue, 17th Floor
New York, NY USA 10016-5997
- Umemori, T
- Hosoda, Y
- Isasaki, M
- Toyoshima, M
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Coils (Electromagnetism); Components; Design; Direct current motors; Electromagnets; Intelligent transportation systems; Linear motors; Machines; Motors; Test facilities; Test vehicles; Traction
- Identifier Terms: Nihon kokuyu tetsudo
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; Field magnets; Ground coils; Linear electric motor; Machine windings
- Subject Areas: Design; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00184954
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper F 78 756-9 Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 13 1979 12:00AM