EXPLANATORY NOTES FOR RESISTANCE AND PROPULSION DATA SHEETS
This publication is a revision of the Explanatory Notes issued in November 1949 to accompany Model and Expanded Resistance Data Sheets 1 through 10, and supersedes the earlier issue. The explanatory notes have been published by the Hydrodynamics Committee of the Society's Technical and Research Committees, as a part of Project H-2, Compilation of Resistance and Propulsion Data. These notes are intended specifically to accompany Model and Expanded Resistance Data Sheets, beginning with sheet 101, and Propeller Data and Self-Propulsion Data Sheets, beginning with sheet 1. In these notes are contained instructions for the use of the data sheets and definitions of the terms and symbols used on the sheets. In undertaking this work the Hydrodynamics Committee has endeavored to establish an acceptable form for the presentation of model resistance and propulsion data. Fundamentally, the committee's main purpose in conducting this work is as follows: (a) to undertake a critical study and correlation of the existing data on ship model hulls which have been tested by the several towing tanks; and (b) to analyze the data, after correlation, to determine systematically the effect of differences in hull form on the resistance and propulsion characteristics. All data and information appearing on the data sheets have been released formally by the owner.
- Technical and Research Bulletin No. 1-13. Prepared by the Panel for Project H-2 of the Hydrodynamics Committee of the Technical and Research Committees.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Publication Date: 1953-7
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Cavitation (Mechanics); Cavitation erosion; Fluid resistance; Hulls; Open water; Open water tests; Propellers; Resistance tests; Ships; Structural models; Tests
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hull resistance; Ship models
- Old TRIS Terms: Model testing; Propeller characteristics; Self propulsion
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00184800
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 13 1979 12:00AM