AUTOMATION IN NAVIGATION
The United States Coast Guard 270 Foot Medium Endurance Cutter (WMEC-270) will be utilized primarily for search and rescue, off shore fishery patrols, enforcement of laws and treaties, and military readiness operations. To achieve reduced personnel manning without any reduction in the mission effectiveness, automation was incorporated into the ship's design. A computer based data processing system termed Command, Display and Control System (COMDAC) was selected to collect and process input data from ship's sensors (radar, fathometer, visual, etc.) and to present real-time, processed information in a readily usable format. This information is presented to various COMDAC console monitors in a TV raster display which allows for superpositioning one display over another (i.e., a digitized chart overlaid on a radar presentation). Some navigational computer-assisted methodology utilized by COMDAC is dead reckoning, automatic target acquisition and tracking, visual positioning and plotting, and collision avoidance. The operators can interact with COMDAC via keyboard entry, function switches and trackball cursor controls. This provides the operators the flexibility of monitoring more dynamic data displays in a shorter time frame than they have previously been able to do.
- Symposium Papers presented at RTCM Assembly Meeting April 17-20, 1978, Detroit, Michigan and Windsor, Canada. With participation of International Association of Great Lakes Ports. Volume 2, Navigation.
Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services/Federal Communications Commission
Washington, DC United States 20554
- Parkin, L E
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Automated vehicle control; Crash avoidance systems; Dead reckoning; Dynamic positioning; Information display systems; Information processing; Navigation computers; Radar tracking
- Old TRIS Terms: Computer aided navigation; Integrated bridge design; Positioning control systems
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00184783
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Radio Technical Commission for Marine Services
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper No. 2.D
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 13 1979 12:00AM