A STUDY OF ALTERNATIVE CONCEPTS FOR PROVIDING A LAKE MICHIGAN FERRY SERVICE
This work is intended to provide information on the potential economic performance of a modern generation of vessels designed for renewed cross-lake ferry services. The results of this study are expressed in terms of the economic performance of various vessel types at hypothetical levels of service demand, which will be stated explicity. The potential demands for modernized ferry services have been estimated in previous work and these estimates were utilized for projecting the load factors in this study. More refined projections of these future demands must take into account the competitive position of the ferry services, in view of the economic performance of the conceptual designs, and will either confirm or refute the adequacy of the estimated demands used in the conceptual design process. It is in the synthesis of the design and marketing problems that the economic feasibility of modernized cross-lake ferry services will be found.
- Prepared for Michigan Transportation Research Program, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
University of Michigan, Ann ArborDepartment of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
Ann Arbor, MI USA 48109
- Scher, R
- Elste, V
- Bunch, H M
- Publication Date: 1977-10
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 68 p.
- Issue Number: 200
- TRT Terms: Air cushion vehicles; Economic analysis; Ferries; Marine transit; Multi hulled ships; Passenger ships; Ships; Surface effect ships; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ship design
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Passenger vessels
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Marine Transportation; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00184764
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 13 1979 12:00AM