RAIL FREIGHT SYSTEMS
This report of a conference on rail freight systems examines the technical, economic and institutional problems facing railroads, indicating areas where change and improvement have the potential for holding or regaining markets. Participants presented 15 papers in four sessions dealing with the following: (1) Inherent service characteristics and emerging markets for rail freight service; (2) Externally imposed constraints that affect the emerging role of railroads; (3) Constraints internal to the rail industry that affect the emerging role of railroads; (4) Major opportunities for effective development and improvement of rail freight service.
- Proceedings of the Carnegie-Mellon Conference on Rail Freight Systems, May 22-23, 1978.
Carnegie Mellon UniversityTransportation Research Institute
Pittsburgh, PA United States 15213
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 174 p.
- TRT Terms: Forecasting; Freight service; Freight traffic; Labor relations; Marketing; Policy; Pricing; Productivity; Quality of service; Rates; Regulations; Technological forecasting; Traffic forecasting; Traffic managers
- Uncontrolled Terms: Shippers
- Old TRIS Terms: Government policies; Government regulations
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Law; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00184737
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78/80 Proceeding, TRI-9
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 29 1978 12:00AM