TRANSIT BUS PROPULSION SYSTEMS PROPULSION REQUIREMENTS
The objective of this report is to furnish a rational basis and numerical procedure for assessing the power plant requirements of TRANSBUS, an advanced technology 40-foot urban transit motor coach. In this report power requirements for propulsion and accessory service of TRANSBUS are evaluated. Performance goals and specifications for TRANSBUS are reviewed, and those that influence the power requirements are identified. A range of vehicular and operational factors appropriate to the transit coach is considered. Using these factors, a likely model is assumed and its power requirements computed. The assumed parameters are varied within a reasonable range of values. These charts may be used to refine the power estimate as more complete data become available for selected vehicle components. Sensitivity of power requirements to each of the significant factors is analyzed in a series of charts. Typical power requirements on representative operating profile segments are also presented. The charts provide a frame of reference for the evaluation of the TRANSBUS prototype vehicle performance and for the consideration of alternative and advanced power plants. This report concludes that the estimated minimum power requirements for the standard specification TRANSBUS is 264 horsepower. This is compatible with the industry standard V-8 engine. /UMTA/
- Other Project 3 reports are: "Transit Bus Propulsion Systems: State of the Art" (PB-226871); "Alternate Power Plant Installations" (PB-276612); and "Gas Turbine Engine Application in Transit Installations" (PB-272608).
Booz-Allen and Hamilton, IncorporatedTransportation Consulting Division, 4330 East-West Highway
Bethesda, MD United States 20814
- Publication Date: 1978-1
- Pagination: 72 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; Electric power plants; Emergency vehicles; Horsepower; Performance; Propulsion; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: Propulsion systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Public service vehicles
- Subject Areas: Highways; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00184587
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-06-0025-78-3Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-10008
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 3 1979 12:00AM