BEHAVIOUR OF THE METAL OF RAILS AND WHEELS IN THE CONTACT ZONE--TENTATIVE STUDY OF STRESSES IN A RAIL BY PHOTO-ELASTIC AND EXTENSOMETER MEASUREMENTS
A simplified rail in an elastic field was studied by photoelastic measurements on a 1/3 scale model and by extensometer measurements. It is concluded that the simplified rail model can be used for bending stress only. The model considered the rail resting directly on the ballast, ignoring the incorporation of cross ties.
- Question C53. Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1969-10
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Railroads); Bending; Bending stress; Elasticity (Mechanics); Photoelasticity; Rail (Railroads); Railroad ties; Residual stress; Simulation; Stresses; Technology
- Uncontrolled Terms: Ballast
- Geographic Terms: France
- Old TRIS Terms: Photoelastic analysis; Question c53; Rail stress
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00040439
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: C53/RP 5/E
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 22 1976 12:00AM