BEHAVIOUR OF THE METAL OF THE RAILS AND WHEELS IN THE CONTACT ZONE--ENQUIRY INTO THE PROBLEM OF SMALL DIAMETER WHEELS
This report summarizes the responses to an enquiry into the effect that a reduction in the diameter of wheels would have on the behavior in service of the rails and wheels. Information was collected on the subject of P/D ratios (P = load per wheel in tons, D = diameter in meters) and includes an analysis of tests carried out by the U.S., Russia, Germany, the British and the French. Very different values of P/D were found, depending on the railway and especially on the type of steel in the rails.
- Partial Copy--Appendix 3 Abstracted Separately, Question C53. Restrictions on the use of this document are contained in the explanatory material.
International Union of RailwaysOffice of Research and Experiments
- Publication Date: 1966-10
- Pagination: 6 p.
- TRT Terms: Deformation; Dynamics; Elasticity (Mechanics); Fatigue (Mechanics); Fatigue (Physiological condition); Photoelasticity; Rail (Railroads); Shear properties; Size; Stresses; Surveys; Technology; Train track dynamics; Wheel loads; Wheels
- Geographic Terms: France; Germany; Russia (Federation); United Kingdom; United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Photoelastic analysis; Question c53; Wheel size
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00040437
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: C53/RP 3/E Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 22 1976 12:00AM